You can see on the elecycles.com that there are many different electric bike conversion kits, what is the best electric bike conversion kit? Does it fit your bicycle?…
To help you to choose the right electric bike kit here, we prepare this article.
Here you will learn.
- What electric bike conversion kits do we have
- What is the advantage and disadvantage of these electric bike conversion kits
- How to install the electric bike conversion kit
- Comparison of the different electric bike conversion kits
- What is the best electric bike kit
1. What electric bike conversion kit we have?
In ELECYCLES, You will find different kinds of electric bike conversion kits.
(1) Electric bike conversion kit front wheel- iMortot1, iMortor3, EEKit
(2) Electric bike conversion kit rear wheel- 3000W electric bike conversion kit, fat tire electric bike conversion kit, SMA-Q rear motor kit, 250W-1500W rear hub motor electric bike kit
(3) Mid motor electric bike conversion kit- BAFANG BBS 250W-1000W, Tongsheng TSDZ2 Mid Drive Motor E-bike Kit
2. What is the advantage and disadvantage of the electric bike conversion kit?
(1) Electric bike conversion kit front wheel Advantage & Disadvantage
- Easy and fast to install or remove — Anyone even a green hand could complete the installation following the instruction, there is no need to handle the gear systems (chain, derailleur, etc.).
- Low cost — The front electric bike kit is a good choice for a wallet factor.
- Fits most bikes — It fits all bikes with a front fork of standard mount size ( like 100*10mm quick release, 110*15mm thru-axle, etc.), No matter what is the bike wheel size- 20”, 24”, 26” or 29” or 700C, and no matter what is the transmission system- traditional gears with cogs, chain, and derailleurs, or internally geared hubs (IGH) with a chain or belt drive.
-Easy to achieve balance — it provides a more balanced bike weight distribution if the battery is mounted in the middle or back part of the bike.
- It needs a sturdy fork — especially for the higher-powered motor wheel, a torque arm is recommended to mount on the front fork.
- Focus on small power — 250W or 350W- compared the frame of the bike (rear hub motors), the front fork does not provide as strong as of the structure.
- Can lose traction when it is slippery — there is much less weight over the front wheel than the rear wheel, the wheel may spin accelerating and lose traction when climbing a steep hill or on loose layer roads (dirt, sand, snow, etc.)
(2) Electric bike conversion kit rear wheel Advantage & Disadvantage
- Low cost — The rear electric bike kit is a good choice considering your wallet.
- Excellent traction — When the motor is at the rear it becomes a bit back heavy and gets better traction when climbing or on the loose layer roads(dirt, sand, snow, etc).
-Wide range of power ( from 250W to 3000W or higher) — A rear hub motor wheel could be steadily mounted because of the excellent support from the frame.
- A bit difficult to install or remove — you need to fit all the gears (chain, derailleur, etc.) in the right place when installing the rear motor wheel.
- Need to keep safe from the front wheel which off the ground — a really powerful rear motor makes a back-heavy bike which may lead to the front wheel off the ground especially when climbing or with rear heavy loading.
(3) Mid motor electric bike conversion kit Advantage & Disadvantage
-Excellent traction — The motor drives the chain and back wheel where most of the weight is
-Better handling — Rear-wheel drive feels more smooth and more comfortable to handle
-Steadily mounted — The frame supports the motor well
-More effective motor — It uses the existing gears of the bike for power efficiency
-Low gravity — Low gravity gives you better handling and balance
- More wear on the chain and gears — As it is using the existing chain and sprockets for efficiency there is also more wear to them
-Susceptible to damages from gravel and curbs — As the motor sits underneath the bike, it can get hit by rocks flying up or high curbs
-Expensive — Cost a bit more than a hub-motor but truly is the best electric bike kit out there
3. How to install the electric bike conversion kit?
Every different electric bike conversion kit may need different tools and different steps to complete the convert installation.
You will see the detailed steps in the following description.
4. Comparison of the different electric bike conversion kit
A. Electric bike conversion kit front wheel- iMortor1
Motor: 36V 240W Gearless
Motor working torque: 5.5Nm
Battery: 36V 3.2Ah lithium battery. Charge time 3 hours.
Max speed: 25km/h ( 15.4mph, could be limited by setting)
Range: 35km( 21.7 miles).
Weight: 18.5 pounds.
Smartphone App: Yes ( APP version only). iPhone and Android compatible.
Wheel size options: 20”, 24”, 26”, 29”, 700C
Front-wheel ( Tire+ rim+ spokes+ motor + controller) * 1
Battery * 1
Charger * 1
Brake sensor * 1
PAS sensor * 1
4-in-1 wire * 1
LCD with thumb throttle * 1 ( for the LCD version only)
Thumb throttle * 1 (for the Bluetooth APP version only）
Phone holder * 1 (for the Bluetooth APP version only）
Nut and washer set * 1
Toolset * 1
iMortor1 e-bike kit Pros
(1) All-in-one- motor, controller, battery are gathered in one wheel, it is easy and fast to install.
(2) Street legal, the max speed is 25km/h and it could be smaller by phone APP setting.
(3) Different Rim and tires for choice to fit almost all bikes, 20”, 24”, 26”, 700C, 27.5”, 29”, with different tire width such as 1.75”, 1.95”, 2.125" etc.
(4) Removable battery for charging at home easily.
(5) 5V USB output for charging your phone in urgent.
(6) Integrated waterproof cables.
(7) LCD or Bluetooth phone APP version for option.
(8) Phone holder ( for APP version only).
iMortor1 e-bike kit Cons
(1) The motor, controller, battery are all gathered in the front wheel, which makes the front wheel heavier that steering is not sensitive, and there are traction problems with low speed or climbing.
(2) When running, the motor and battery temperature would rise, as the motor, controller, battery are all gathered together that the heat would affect all the system’s efficiency and lifetime.
(3) It needs a little more time to complete the installation as their different parts should be connected- motor, throttle, PAS, brake sensor, Phone holder.
(4) The phone APP and LCD display are alternatives. When you choose an LCD display, you could not use the phone APP.
(5) It works with a front fork with 100*10mm quick released, not with 110*15mm thru-axle.
How to install the front wheel electric bike conversion kit iMortor1?
Step 1: Take off the brake clamp, take off the front wheel from your bike.
Step 2: Install the new iMortor1 wheel (without the battery) on your bike. Test the rotation of the iMortor, and then fix it with the washers and nuts.
Read more on ELELCYCLES.